Facebook

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Forwarders

In a place that must be far far away … since I’ve never been able to find it on any map or even the internet. There must dwell a people of a very strange tongue.
Well I am not really sure they really are people, since I have never actually seen them. Back to my story. ...

In a land far away dwells a people, that send me communiqués of seemingly great consequence. Always by email, never a call or even snail mail. So great is their love for me that never a day is missed that I don’t get one or two. Sometimes it’s twelve or twenty.

Cute little snippets of Hillary or Bill, some are real funny but often a bore. Addressed to me as if my initials were Fw and not MM. Forwarded to me with nothing to do, just church and a business and grandkids a few.

Fw:FW:Fw is hard to pronounce so their name goes unsaid, no signature made. Fw:FW:Fw must be who they are and who they seek. Fw:FW:Fw followed by my correct email and a dozen more so.

Fw: finds FW: and now really fast. Inboxes fill up and I’m really aghast Fw:FW:Fw becomes Fw:FW:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw… now really fast. As Fw finds Fw and delights in their find and sends it to others they think will not mind.

They must not speak English or even some Yiddish. How do I know? you say with a sneer…
I’ve never received a reply never so near. I’ve sent greetings and love and compliments few. But I’ve received not even a word or two new. They send me pictures and print and power point shows, videos, links and some really low blows.

I would love some real words, of the life they do lead. Maybe even the prayer that they need. Tell me how Elmo or Sally is doing. About your new job or even Uncle Bob. As I starve for your words, I hear that little pop it tells me an email has come near. I look to my inbox with deep anticipation. Is this the day? I’ll hear from that land so far away? Nevertheless it is from Fw to Fw:FW:Fw and they just knew I needed this news. Barack is really a Muslim or McCain a warmonger. I reach for the button my finger still sore, I strike the delete key just this once more.

Who are these people that only send something that they were first given and pass it along ? How lucky I am!
In the land that they live the language is odd. It only goes out without even a nod.

It’d be really nice to hear back from the Fw:FW:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw:Fw…’s but with names so in common using only two letters. It might be real hard to tell them apart.
Again how do you speak and what do you say to people whose correspondence is only one way?
Where do they live and what do they do? This really strange people with short little names.
I hope none are offended, you are all really dear, but rather than FW your words I hold dear.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dad, I just read your blog and I am glad that you did the Forwarders. I remember when you mentioned the idea on the family vacation. It so far is my favorite piece.

    Keep writing.
    Love Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. That encourages me to rewrite rewrite till i get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you decided to start this. It's great.

    ReplyDelete